Untraced Driver Claims

Call us now for free advice: 01244 312306

Make an enquiry

Got a question? Send a message to our lawyers.

Send an enquiry

Can I claim compensation if I am injured in a ‘hit and run’ accident?

If you are hit by an untraced driver who flees the scene, you may still be able to make a claim for damages.

If the driver cannot be identified you cannot issue court proceedings against the responsible driver, however a claim can be brought against an organisation known as the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

The MIB will compensate victims of untraced drivers if they believe you have a good case and the following steps have been taken before a claim is made:

  • The incident is reported to the police within 14 days of the accident, or if this cannot be done it must be reported as soon as is reasonably practicable.
  • Steps must be taken to identify the driver.
  • You must report the accident to your insurer.
  • The MIB is an organisation of last resort, and therefore if you are fully comprehensively insured then your insurers will be responsible for the repairs or write-off value of your vehicle.
  • If you are insured on a third-party, fire and theft basis then the MIB will deal with your vehicular losses if a claim is brought within 9 months of the accident.

How Oliver & Co can help

It is usually the case that the MIB will investigate the claim. The instructing solicitor will investigate the claim also and guide you through the MIB’s processes. This usually involves taking a statement from you at an early stage.

The MIB will usually insist that they arrange medical examinations for victims of untraced drivers. We can advise whether these reports require any amendment, and we can then value your claim.

Due to recent legislation, we are only able to assist in pursuing a claim via the MIB on your behalf if the value of your injuries is worth more than £5000. Call us to see if we can help you make a claim on 01244 312306.

We won £17,000 in compensation for a client hit by an untraced driver – read our case study here.

What compensation can I claim for?

You can claim for the pain, suffering and loss of amenity caused by the accident and your reasonable financial losses incurred, or that may be incurred in the future.

Compensation for pain and suffering and loss of amenity (‘general damages’)

We value compensation based upon independent medical expert reports, often from experts in a number of different disciplines. We use the up-to-date version of the Judicial College Guidelines and case law to value your injury.

Compensation for out-of-pocket expenses (‘special damages’)
  • Damaged clothing
  • Private rehabilitation, arranged by you or us
  • Loss of earnings, past or future
  • Care and assistance, past or future
  • Modifications, equipment or relocation costs
  • Additional commuting costs
  • Cost of travel to medical appointments
  • Any other additional financial losses that you may have occurred as a result of your accident.

How much could my injury be worth?

Find out instantly what your injury compensation may be worth by using our claims calculator. The valuation does not include your out-of-pocket expenses, which will be in addition.

Try our claim calculator

How much is your claim worth?

How can I help my claim be successful via the MIB?

As the Defendant cannot give an account of themselves as they have fled the scene, it is often the case that the innocent victim holds most of the evidence relating to the accident.

  • Your priority following such an accident is to seek medical attention if you are injured
  • Report the matter to the police as soon as possible
  • If you have not been too seriously injured, take photographs of the scene and the Defendant’s vehicle
  • Check to see if there are any witnesses to the accident and if so, take their name, address, email address and telephone number
  • Record the registration number, the make, model and colour of the vehicle that hit you.

What sets Oliver & Co apart?

  • We pride ourselves on communication and getting to the heart of the matter
  • We take all steps necessary to get you back to your usual self with a focus on early privately funded rehabilitation (treatment)
  • We have a dual qualified doctor and lawyer on our team
  • We can arrange home visits if required

Our reviews say it all. There is no better endorsement than client recommendation and we are proud to be rated ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot and we are a Legal 500 firm.

Call and speak to a member of our team on 01244 312306


Click on an image to read about our Specialists and see how they may help you.

Allison Pepper

Associate Director & Road Traffic Accident Solicitor

Maria Pilkington

Director & Personal Injury Solicitor

Kathryn Bull

Personal Injury Senior Litigator

Angela Cross

Personal Injury Solicitor Advocate