Slipping & Tripping Accidents

Call us on 01244 312306 for a free initial consultation with a Specialist Lawyer

Make an enquiry

Got a question? Send a message to our lawyers.

Send an enquiry

Slipping and tripping accidents

Tripped or slipped in a public place due to a defect and been injured? We may be able to help you with a claim for compensation.

Slipping and tripping accidents are extremely common. If you have tripped on a path, pavement, car park or public road, a claim may be possible against the Highway Authority of the Council. Always try and take photographs of what you have tripped over, as this is the evidence for your claim.

As the weather turns colder, we often encounter snow and ice, meaning pathways, pavements, roads, and car parks become extremely slippery and dangerous. If you have slipped and injured yourself on land which is under the control of the Council, we may be able to help with a claim. If the land is privately owned, you would need to find out who owns the land and if they hold public liability insurance. Contact our solicitors to discuss on 01244 312306 or email

People we have helped

We helped a client recover £11,500 after tripping on raised flagstones on a public footpath. Read the case study here.

We helped a client claim £4,250 in compensation after slipping on some poorly maintained decking outside a school. Read about it here.

Do I have a claim?

If you trip on the public highway, i.e., on a path or pavement, the defect (e.g., the raised paving slab, the rocking packing slab, or the hole) must be over 1” in depth or height to be considered dangerous and actionable which means it requires action taken to repair it. If you can prove these by way of photographs showing the measurements, then your claim may succeed. Call our team on 01244 312306 to speak with one of our experienced solicitors who can advise if you have a claim.

The law provides Highway Authorities with a defence to these types of claims if they can show that before your accident, they took all reasonable steps to maintain the highways. For example, by inspecting the area before your accident happened and noting that the defect, at the time they inspected, was not dangerous or actionable, or that the defect was already marked for repair and was due to be repaired within a reasonable and allowed period of time.

You may trip or slip in a shop, car park or other public or private place. This is known as an ‘accident in a premise’. In these types of situations, the owner/occupier is responsible for your safety whilst you are on or in their premises. They must be able to show that they have taken all reasonable steps to ensure you are safe. This could include displaying a yellow wet floor sign, if the floor had recently been mopped, or if there was a spillage, or placing a barrier around an unsafe area so that visitors cannot go in the dangerous area.

What evidence are you likely to need?

Once you’ve had a tripping or slipping accident you should gather as much evidence as you possibly can to support your potential case. After you have received the required medical attention you should take the following steps:

  1. Take a good quality colour photograph of the defect which caused you to have the accident. Show the measurement of the defect clearly with a ruler or tape measure in the photo.
  2. Take another good quality colour photograph of the defect. However, this time you should stand at a distance to show the defect’s surrounding area.
  3. Keep the details of any witnesses who saw the accident. These details should include a full name, address and contact number.
  4. Check if there was any CCTV in the area. If so, can you obtain a copy of the footage which might show your accident?
  5. After you have taken photographs, report the incident to the responsible party. This might be the council. If you report it before you take photographs they may fix the defect and it could be difficult to prove your claim.

Types of slips or trips we can assist you with

Our specialist solicitors have dealt with many claims involving tripping or slipping accidents including:

  • tripping on a raised or wobbly paving slab on a pavement;
  • tripping on a crumbling step in a railway station car park;
  • slipping on a wet floor in a shop;
  • slipping on debris left on the floor;
  • tripping over a wire lying across the aisle of a shop floor;
  • slipping on ice in a public or private place.

Need further assistance?

If you have been injured in a tripping or slipping accident and are considering making a claim for compensation and would like legal advice, call our Personal Injury Team on 01244 312306 where you can speak with an experienced Solicitor who can advise if you have a claim.

What could my claim be worth?

You can find out how much you could be owed for your slip/trip by using our claims calculator below:

Try our claim calculator

How much is your claim worth?

Allison Pepper and Rebecca

These ladies have been great from the moment they agreed to take my case on to right up to now awaiting the cheque. They arranged absolutely everything, medicals, made all correspondence, and always kept me in the loop. These ladies have honestly done a fantastic job and I would highly recommend them to anyone. If I couldn’t deal with anything via email due to my printer going down, they’ve made sure I’ve had the documents needed sent out that very day. I for one will only ever call upon this knowledgeable helpful company.

Fiona McWillam

Call and speak to a member of our team on 01244 312306


Click on an image to read about our Specialists and see how they may help you.

Allison Pepper

Associate Director & Road Traffic Accident Solicitor

Maria Pilkington

Director & Personal Injury Solicitor

Kathryn Bull

Personal Injury Senior Litigator

Angela Cross

Personal Injury Solicitor Advocate