Give us a call

01244 312 306

Uninsured Driver Claims

If you have been unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, you can claim compensation.

You can claim for the pain, suffering and loss of amenity caused by the accident as well as your reasonable financial losses incurred, or that may be incurred in the future.

Get in touch

What is an uninsured driver?

Each year, there are thousands of people killed or injured by uninsured drivers, and according to statistics, there are still around a million uninsured drivers on the roads in the United Kingdom. [Ref: Motor Insurers’ Bureau]

Being involved in an accident is a very stressful experience and becomes even more so when you find out that the other driver does not have insurance. Thankfully, there is an organisation which can step in to compensate victims of uninsured drivers.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

Founded in 1946, the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) was set up to provide compensation to victims of uninsured or untraced drivers. Around £30 per year from every insured driver’s premium goes towards the MIB.

It is a legal requirement for motorists to have insurance for their vehicle when driving on a public road, although there is no obligation for a person to be insured for vehicles on private roads, such as land or construction sites.

How Oliver & Co can help

If you are a passenger or a driver in another vehicle, you can usually make a claim via the MIB. Our job is to help you through this process and submit a claim on your behalf, and take the stress out of the situation as far as possible.

As the MIB act a bit like an insurance company, the process of pursuing a claim against an uninsured driver is usually very similar to making a claim against an insured driver.

We work on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis and initially take details of your claim. The claim is then submitted to the MIB and if they confirm that they are prepared to deal with the matter, we will obtain medical evidence and collate your losses, with a view to making an offer to the MIB to settle the claim wherever possible.

What compensation can I claim?

Compensation for pain, suffering & loss of amenity (‘general damages’)

We value compensation based upon independent medical expert reports, often from experts in several different disciplines. We use the up-to-date version of the Judicial College Guidelines and case law to value your injury.

Compensation for out-of-pocket expenses (‘special damages’)

This can include:


Road Traffic Accident case studies


Key contacts

How much could my

claim be worth?

How much could my
claim be worth?

Get in touch