Probate and Estate Administration
We can give you the legal advice and assistance you need to deal with a loved one’s legal and tax affairs after they have passed away.
When a person dies, the assets that they leave (their estate) has to be dealt with. This responsibility for this rests with either:
- The executors (where the deceased has made a Will) or;
- The administrators (if no Will was made).
However, despite having different titles, the responsibilities of executors and administrators are similar. Both carry significant legal responsibility. Importantly, those dealing with the estate are accountable to the beneficiaries, any creditors and HM Revenue & Customs.
How can we help?
If an administrator/executor does not do their job properly, they may be personally liable for any losses suffered by the beneficiary or any unpaid debts.
Fortunately, our solicitors can guide you through what can be a daunting process. We have many years of experience and can advise you as to exactly what your duties are. Furthermore, we can:
- Complete the necessary Inheritance Tax Forms.
- Assist with the application for the Grant of Representation (called a Grant of Probate where there is a Will and Grant of Letters of Administration where there isn’t).
- Ensure that proper steps are taken to identify creditors through publishing legal notices.
- Close the deceased’s bank account.
- Arrange for the sale/transfer of assets.
- Distribute the money to the beneficiaries.
- Ensure that the tax position of the deceased is up to date and that any overpaid income tax is reclaimed.
- Prepare final estate accounts.
- If required, we can prepare a Deed of variation to vary how an estate is distributed.
Let us take control:
Remember, taking on the role of administering an estate is a duty not to be taken on lightly. Thankfully, we’re here to guide you through each stage of the legal process. We promise to ensure that the job is done correctly.
If you would like further assistance with the administration of an estate please call our solicitors today on: 01244 312306, or fill in our contact form.
Call and speak to a member of our team on 01244 312306
Head of Wills and Probate and Associate Director
Wills & Probate Solicitor
Chartered Legal Executive
Private Client Solicitor
Wills & Probate Paralegal