Commercial Property Solicitor
In 2015, I qualified as a Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience in the Criminal Courts. Whilst I do not practice this area of law now, I have been able to transfer my skills of advocacy and negotiation into Commercial Property, which come in handy on an almost daily basis.
I joined the Commercial Property team at Oliver & Co in February 2022, having previously retrained and gained a wealth of experience in this area of law with a firm based in Staffordshire and Cheshire.
I act for a wide range of small to medium sized business clients, from sole traders, partnerships, limited companies, charities and pension schemes. In particular, I can offer advice and assistance in the following areas:
- Charities – sale and purchase of property on behalf of charities, with a particular specialism in relation to transactions on behalf of the Methodist Church, including the sale of chapels that have a burial ground, ensuring compliance with charity specific legislation.
- Buildings – sale and purchase of commercial buildings, whether owner, occupier or investment led, freehold and complex leasehold interests, offices, retail or industry; advising on capital allowances, stamp duty/land transaction tax, VAT and other complex commercial principles.
- Commercial refinance – whether high street or bridging finance, acting on behalf of the Lender and/or Borrower, working closely with all involved to achieve a positive outcome.
- Land and agricultural matters – whether sale and purchase, lettings, Farm Business Tenancies, Agricultural Holdings and Grazing agreements.
- Development – including advice on pre-emption agreements, options and overage agreements.
- Leases, Licences and all Landlord and Tenant matters – acting on behalf of Landlords or Tenants.
- Pension Schemes – any commercial property transaction involving a pension scheme, whether that be a SIPP or a SSAS, including acting on behalf of the pension scheme and the professional trustees appointed.
I have a friendly, approachable and calm manner. I offer straight forward advice in a jargon free, clear and understandable way. I pay meticulous attention to detail and always strive to achieve the best possible outcome for my clients. I take the time to understand a transaction in detail from the outset, in an effort to foresee obstacles and where possible, avoid them, in order to meet timescales and avoid confusion. I like to work closely with a client’s professional team to keep everyone advised and up to date. I am also happy to undertake site visits and to meet clients at their business premises if required.
Away from the office, I enjoy getting outdoors and into the countryside, going on long walks with my border collie or having new adventures abroad and at home. I enjoy challenging myself in the gym with circuit and resistance training. I like reading, learning new skills and expanding my knowledge.