Frequently asked questions in family law

Make an enquiry

Got a question? Send a message to our lawyers.

Send an enquiry

Family law FAQ’s

Situations which require a family solicitor are often very emotional and stressful for all parties concerned. They are also occasions when difficult life changing decisions need to be made about your future and the future of any children you have. By obtaining legal advice at an early stage Oliver & Co Solicitors can help you to understand what your rights and responsibilities are and how best to tackle these difficult decisions. It is important that you receive independent, accurate and trustworthy advice to enable you to make the decisions that are right for you and to ensure you do not agree to something that may not be right for you in the long run.
Our expert family solicitors, Helen Varty and Alex Regan at Oliver & Co Solicitors have extensive experience in dealing with all types of family law issues and will guide you through the process and ensure you are informed at every stage. You can trust them to provide you with clear, independent advice that is right for you.

If you decide to proceed with us we will tell you from the outset how much the legal costs will be and what you can expect from trusting us with your case.

The process usually takes between 4-6 months, but it can take longer if your partner defends the divorce or does not cooperate. We will fix the cost of your divorce so you know exactly how much it will cost from the outset and you may have the option of seeking costs from your partner.

As a grandparent you are entitled to make an application to the court for contact or indeed residence if you feel the children should live with you. We can help you to make the best application possible and any application is judged on its merits taking into account both parents views.

It is essential that you obtain advice urgently. At Oliver & Co Solicitors we have extensive experience in dealing with matters relating to children and our dedicated solicitor Helen Varty deals with all cases involving the local authority. Helen will guide you through every step of the process and advise you on the best course of action to take for you and your children. In addition, you will automatically qualify for legal aid if the local authority issue proceedings to remove your children.

Mother’s automatically have parental responsibility for their children and from 2003 all father’s who agree to be named on their child’s birth certificate and attend the registration of the birth have parental responsibility. Alternatively, you can make an application to the court or enter into a parental responsibility agreement with the mother. Alex Regan or Helen Varty at Oliver & Co Solicitors can assist you with this process.

If you have any further questions or would like to arrange an appointment call the family team at Oliver & Co Solicitors in Chester on 01244 312306.