2018 Round-up: Our charity work this year
Posted on December 20th 2018
As the year comes to a close, this article looks back at the thing we are most proud of in 2018 – our move towards corporate social responsibility (CSR).
This year, we’re particularly proud of the progress we’ve made in terms of CSR. From January we became more committed to supporting charitable causes and making Oliver & Co more environmentally sustainable. In February we officially set up our CSR team, consisting of staff members from across the firm.
OUR CSR TEAM
Importantly, our CSR team is diverse and is made up of five team members with different expertise and different levels of seniority in the firm. In our team we have members of the accounts, industrial disease and marketing teams and two of the firm’s Directors.
Our team meet monthly to discuss and plan actions around:
- the firm’s charity work;
- making the firm more environmentally sustainable;
- Improving employee satisfaction.
WHAT HAVE WE DONE THIS YEAR?
Year Long Projects:
- Climate Control: We updated our climate control system to cool and heat our office more efficiently – just in time for winter! Learn more by clicking here.
- Hand Dryers: We swapped our paper hand towels for hand dryers in all of the toilets in our office. This will reduce the amount of rubbish that the firm produces.
- Plastic Use: We have stopped providing plastic cups at our water dispensers and have provided our staff members with reusable glasses instead.
- Green Products: Where possible we are choosing green stationery products, made from recycled or sustainable materials.
- Charities of the year: You can learn about how we are supporting our charities of the year – Chester Voluntary Action (CVA), Macmillan and the Amputation Foundation – by clicking here.
- Disabled Access: You can learn about how we have improved our disabled access by clicking here.
- Encouraging Volunteering: This year, we are giving our staff a day of extra holiday on Christmas Eve with a view to encouraging them to volunteer a day of their time to charity.
- Cancer Research UK – In January we focused on promoting our support for Cancer Research UK’s Free Will Service. If you are over 55 you can have your Will written by Oliver & Co Solicitors for free with the scheme. Learn more here.
- Amasing – We sponsored Amasing at the Storyhouse. This was Amasing’s first show and we are happy to say we are sponsoring them again in 2019. AmaSing, “works collaboratively with educational establishments including primary/high schools, colleges, universities and art specialists to develop and enhance children’s wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem. It also supports professional development for teachers and training teachers in developing skills and opportunities to deliver singing, music and arts in the daily school curriculum.” You can learn more about Amasing here: http://amasing.org.uk/
- British Heart Foundation – We began taking part in the British Heart Foundation’s ‘Bag it, beat it’ campaign. So far we have donated over £1468 worth of bags containing clothes, children’s toys, furniture and more. Learn more about the Bag it, Beat it campaign here.
- Chester Sparklewalk – Members of the firm took part in the Hospice of the Good Shepherd’s Sparkle walk – raising over £225.
- Foamtastic Colourblast – In July we started promoting an event we sponsored – the Hospice of the Good Shepherd’s Foamtastic Colourblast. To promote the event we took part in a photoshoot with powder paint.
- We attended Tarporley High’s Careers fair to encourage the next generation to pursue a career in law.
- Action Mesothelioma Day – We raised money for Macmillan Cancer Support through a bake sale.
- Pursglove & Brown’s Charity Football League – We entered a team to help raise money for the Hospice of the Good Shepherd and Big Bottle Society.
- Recycling: We sent 27 of our PCs to be recycled with Concept Management.
- Macmillan Coffee Morning: We raised £122 for Macmillan Cancer Support via a bake sale.
- The Hospice of the Good Shepherd’s Foamtastic Colourblast: As well as sponsoring the event, a number of our staff volunteered at the event or ran the course!
- We achieved our cyber essentials plus certification – a government backed scheme to help businesses protect themselves against cyber threats.
- Chester Voluntary Action Ball: We sponsored a table at the CVA ball!
- Give a Hand and Bake week: We raised £30 via a bake sale for The Stroke Association.
November & December:
- We sponsored rucksacks for the NW Panthers junior netball team.
- We sponsored a Christmas tree at Chester Cathedral’s Christmas Tree Festival. Our tree (which is on display throughout December and early January) is promoting corporate social responsibility. Where possible, the decorations have been made from recycled materials or are being reused. A number of the baubles are also showcasing some of the charities we have supported in 2018!
- West Cheshire Foodbank: We took part in the foodbank’s reverse advent calendar and several members of staff volunteered at Tescos to encourage people to donate items.
We are very proud of the changes we have made this year and happy to be supporting the Chester community as much as possible. In 2019, we hope to continue our CSR work and become even more environmentally sustainable.
How can we help?
Do you need legal advice? Click here to see a list of our services or contact us today on 01244 312306 for free initial advice.
Call and speak to a lawyer on 01244 312306